The Pelican 1510 Carry-On Case is specifically designed to be within the FAA size-allowance for cabin baggage.
This is my Pelican 1510 Carry-On Case which I bought and fitted out with the 1519 Lid Organizer back in April. I’ve since used it on several international flights, and it’s fantastic for several reasons:
- At home it sits next to the desk in my home office, and keeps all my gear tidy and organized
- I don’t need to think about what to pack - if all my gear is packed where it belongs in the case, I’m ready to go.
- It makes traversing customs and security checks at the airport easy because my pockets can be emptied sensibly into the case, leaving me with just my passport, money clip and iPod in my pockets.
- For the x-ray machine check, since you have to take your laptop out anyway, the recessed area where my laptop sits is the perfect place to temporarily stash my iPod, money and passport rather than using a tray.
- On the plane I always try to get a bulkhead seat (for the power sockets), and when I can there’s plenty of space at my feet for the Pelican 1510 so I can have almost all the gear I have at the desk at my home office within arms reach
The Pelican 1510 Carry-On Case
Recessed level 1: Laptop
Recessed level 2: Firewire Audio Interface
Recessed level 3: Mic, mic stand, XLR cable, power adapters
View of full contents of the case:
- Laptop and power supply (ThinkPad shown, but my MacBook also fits perfectly)
- Extra UltraBay drive caddy for ThinkPad
- UltraBay optical drive for ThinkPad
- M-Audio ProFire 610 FireWire Audio Interface
- 3 x 2.5” USB Hard Disk Enclosures
- Sanyo 720P digital video camera
- Various power socket adapters
- XLR cable
- Shure SM58 Mic
- Desktop Mic Stand
- iPod Dock, remote and cable
- Small collection of operating system and driver DVD’s CDs as well as a couple of blanks
- PCMCIA Firewire adapter
- PCMCIA CF Card Reader
- A bunch of rubber bands and velcro straps for keeping things tidy
- A ballpoint pen and a black magic marker
- Passport, work permit and whatever other documents might be needed for any given trip
- Various cables including USB, firewire and cross-over ethernet
- Laptop cleaning fluid, microfiber cloths and brush